Tuesday, January 20, 2009

A little of our week

This last week has gone by fast. I know, I still haven't gotten around to those Christmas pictures yet (its because I have to download, edit, resize, etc...) it feels like such a process. For Christmas Aaron and I decided to buy a little snap shot camera that we can just take with us everywhere. Its easier than lugging my big fancy one around. So we did take a few pictures this week, they are nothing special, but here they are nonetheless.

We did do some fun things this week. First, we finally broke out our Settlers game (that we haven't played since Sept. 2007). It was so fun! We played two nights in a row! Of course I lost both times, but I don't mind. Just getting my feet wet again!

Mikko is SOOOOOO close to crawling! He gets on all fours and moves his legs, but he wont move his arms... He will sit there and scream like he is frustrated he hasn't figured it out. I try to help him, but I think I make it worse. Oh well... I'm sure any day now it will "click" in his little brain and he will just take off!

Lately I have been trying to make more of an effort to get AJ out, playing with other kids. I took him to the park last Friday (our ward does a play group at the park each week) and he just stood in like one place the entire time. He just stared at all the other kids playing and having fun. It was sort of creepy at first. It was like he didn't want to touch any of the equipment or kids... so weird! I think I need to get him out more. He is too use to just playing by himself at home. So we're going to work on that! I don't want to have the creepy socially inept kid.

We also hosted a youth fireside at our house Sunday night. I stayed upstairs with the boys so they wouldn't be a distraction, but they had a great turn out and Aaron gave me all the details (of course I went downstairs to visit as soon as it was over). I just have to brag about my hubby for a second. I am SOOO proud of him. For some reason he feels so "out of his comfort zone" in his (Young Men's President) calling. But I think he is doing so amazing! He loves the youth so much and has so much passion for the gospel, I just love seeing it! The leaders challenged the kids to a few goals as a ward, and when everyone left, Aaron sat down with me and explained that we as a couple needed to strive for these goals individually, just like the youth. He said he thinks it is important to lead by example. The three goals were, read the scriptures for 5 minutes daily, pray day and night, and smile! As a family, we do pretty well with the prayers and scripture reading. But Aaron and I have fallen short on reading our scriptures individually. I think this will be a great thing for me and my testimony... I started yesterday! Of course, I think I can do a little better than 5 minutes a day. We raised the bar to 30 minutes of scripture study a day, instead of just 5. And I can especially work on the whole "smile" thing. But Aaron inspires me to be better. I just love him and am so grateful I have such a wonderful, worthy priesthood holder as my husband. I couldn't ask for more!

Today was a special day as many of you know (and if you don't, you've been living under a rock). To me it was special because I got to witness one of the great things about our country- a peaceful transfer of power. I was a teenager when Clinton left and Bush came in, so I didn't pay any attention to the transformation. I just thought it was very moving. Despite what anyone may think of President Bush, I was a little emotional when I watched him. I can see a good man, that cares about the country as a whole and Americans as individuals. I also loved seeing President Obama with his family. The kids looked a little nervous, but so cute! And seeing Pres Obama with Michelle, speaks volumes of his character. I know it was an exciting mark for history, having the first black President. I think younger generations (I include myself in this) seem to be more colorblind and a little oblivious to the (Farley recent persecutions) that occurred just a few decades ago. I know we shouldn't forget the past, but I think it is a little okay to step forward, and not back. It doesn't make a difference to me what color the president is. When I look at Pres Obama, I don't think "he's a black president". I think "he is our president". I wouldn't think twice if it was a woman, a Hispanic, Asian, Mormon, Catholic, or Muslim. So while we celebrate today, I hope we continue to move forward. It shouldn't really matter WHAT you are, but WHO you are. I think Pres Obama has a tough road ahead of him, but I support him as my President and will pray for him to make the best decisions for our country. I do think we need some change. I hope he can bring the kind that makes us a BETTER, STRONGER nation.

3 comments:

dntbaker said...

i like when you post.. devin and i made the same goal with scripture study and it sure does make a difference.
i'm so sad you guys aren't coming to AZ now.. oh well i guess i will have to eat Cafe Rio all by myself!! :) actually you are probably better for not eating it, its so addicting.

Suburban Monkey said...

Ahhh Settlers!!...we gotta get together!

I too don’t really remember the transfer in power of past presidents. Yesterday I was definitely choked up as I watched Obama sworn in as our new president. I wasn’t emotional because I voted/didn’t vote for him or I don’t like or do like him. I was emotional because I cannot imagine the gravity of the
position of President of the
United States. I was emotional because I know the great task ahead of Obama and it is my prayer and desire that our country be led by a man who loves his country and the people who inhabit it. I know that he can’t or won’t change the world or the economy with the snap of a finger, but I will continue to pray for him and his coming decisions.

Colleen said...

Your boys are so cute! Luke was the same way with crawling, he'd get so frustrated and just start crying (he is still like that when things are hard, unfortunately!). I am sure AJ will not be socailly inept, look at his parents! You guys were the social butterfiles of Wyview, always hosting the "Murder" parties and all! I am not surprised at all that Aaron is such a great YMP, I can totally see him in that calling as an awesome leader and example! And well said about the new pres. I agree, as much as I was frustrated by Bush's actions and seeming lack of intelligence at times, I do think he thought what he was doing was best and truly believes history will redeem him. I hope he is right! And I agree, I don't think color means as much to us younger, white, west coasters, but having studied history, I realize it means a lot to a lot of people. Hopefully it is truly a step, as you said, to not seeing color/religion at all. And like you, I am amazed at how it all happens so peacefully! What a blessing to live in such an amazing country!